Improve UAV LiDAR accuracy with Ground Control Targets
|Achieve robust and quantifiable results|
|Calibrate the equipment on every project|
|Demonstrate that the specified level of accuracy is achieved|
|Simplify post-processing and avoid data alignment issues|
|Ensure the best possible accuracy is accomplished|
A robust survey and data processing methodology, deploying Routescene’s specially designed Ground Control Targets to set Ground Control Points (GCP), will enable ground control to be verified.
Improve the quality of and your confidence in your survey data
Quality Assurance every survey
For excellent UAV LiDAR results you need to undertake Quality Assurance and Routescene provide this as standard. Deploying Ground Control Targets on known and accurately coordinated GCPs prior to a UAV LiDAR survey provides the assurance that the survey has been properly executed.
Routescene’s Ground Control Targets are large discs to be positioned within your survey area. Placed on known geographical points (GCPs) the coordinate of each Ground Control Target is established using an accurate and independent survey technique.
The number of Ground Control Targets to be deployed depends on the size of the survey area: for a 500 x 500m area we recommend 4-8 targets are used for the boresight calibration and as check points.
Typically each Target will be hit 200-300 times by the lasers from the LiDAR system and can easily be seen in the resulting geo-referenced point cloud. The resulting Ground Control Points can be consumed in Routescene’s post-processing software, LidarViewer Pro, which automatically generates Quality Assurance Reports.
Targets specifically designed for UAV LiDAR
- Covered with highly retro-reflective material to provide high-intensity returns which are easily identifiable in the resultant point cloud
- Target raised from the ground using a tripod to enable easy identification and allows the returns to be automatically extracted from the point cloud
- Bubble level built in to enable accurate levelling, removes the need for a tribrach
- Robust and more likely to stay in position during windy conditions. Reducing the risk of repositioning during a survey
Ground Control Target specification
- Set of 4 x 60cm diameter Target
- Topped with M3 retro-reflective material provides high intensity return in the point cloud
- Bubble level built in for accurate levelling
- Centre brass disc with 5/8″ threaded hole for fitting onto a standard survey tripod.
- Protective rubber rim for easy handling
- Complete with 4 mini tripods and a carry bag
- Weight: 5.5kg (without tripod)
Mini tripod specification
- 1 x mini tripod per Target
- Specially designed for quick repositioning and levelling
- Quick locking, ergonomically designed excentric clamping levers for easy handling, even when wearing gloves in cold conditions
- High quality aluminum tubes and profiles. Anodized aluminum, weather-proof for toughest use
- Tripod head made from polymer-fiberglass composite and features integrated circular vial for quick setting up
- Plastic components are all robust polymer-fiberglass
- Solid tips
- Working range: 38–59cm
- Transport length: 47cm
- Weight: 1.8kg
- 4 x Ground Control Targets
- 4 x Mini Tripods
- 1 x Tough carry bag with handle for 4 x Ground Control Targets
- Instructions on how to deploy
Committed to Quality Assurance
Routescene has a strong ethos of Quality Assurance. We are the only manufacturer offering Ground Control Targets specifically designed for UAV LiDAR mapping. Investing in Ground Control Targets for UAV LiDAR surveys increases the value of your data. Taking that extra time and effort to install Targets and to generate Quality Assurance Reports will improve the quality of and your confidence in the resultant data.
“When working for engineering and survey clients accuracy has be paramount for us. Utilizing the special laser reflective ground control targets from Routescene we have been able to clearly identify survey monuments in the field, survey them and identify those targets in the scan. Having these targets enhances our ability to evaluate the scan’s alignment and our ability to evaluate and report on horizontal and vertical accuracy. It is something that has separated us from the pack. Rekon has had great success with deploying these targets, excellent system.” Vashaun Henderson, Rekon Solutions, Canada
See Routescene Ground Control Targets pdf, click here
See our article on Improving and demonstrating UAV LiDAR survey accuracy using Ground Control Points, click here
See our targets in action at a project at Sand Canyon, Colorado, USA, click here
Purchase your Ground Control Targets today