The Routescene LidarPod
Our compact, self contained, lightweight system is at the cutting edge of technology. With rapid, remote sensing data collection combined with quick and easy data analysis, The Routescene LidarPod® and LidarViewer enable you to undertake surveys and get results faster than ever before. The turnkey solution includes LidarViewer, specially developed software to handle your resulting data.
Due to fast and detailed data collection it significantly reduces your time in the field, enabling all the data you need to be collected in one site visit. Data processing and extraction no longer needs to be undertaken on site, allowing specialists to interpret data back in the office.
The advantages of LiDAR
LiDAR is the smart way to collect, analyse and manipulate data in the Highways and Engineering sectors. LiDAR produces incredibly rich datasets showing all features from topography, physical features to roadside assets for effective and efficient road planning, construction and maintenance.
- Rapid survey time – surveying at normal traffic speeds
- Cost effective
- Significantly reduced health & safety issues or risk associated with conventional data capture techniques
- No traffic management to arrange
- Quick processing and analysis of data which can then be directly loaded into terrain modelling, GIS, or CAD software
- Efficient data collection and transfer leads to error-free data processing, map generation and asset management databases
How can I use this new technology in the Highways sector?
- Asset management – to obtain a detailed understanding of all the assets along a road, what they are and where each asset is located, in order to build up and maintain your roadside infrastructure. Assets include pavements, streetlights, signs, billboards, traffic signals and street furniture. This knowledge enables the value of all the assets to be ascertained and a maintenance schedule to be developed and managed
- Road construction requires constant surveying to determine if the correct levels have been obtained; determine the cut and fill volumes in earth works; create route maps for new transport links e.g. road, rail and tram
- Structure and overhead cables surveys – overpass and bridge height obstruction management, to have a clear picture of the clearance and condition of each structure and cables along highways, in order to develop and manage maintenance
- Slope analysis, landslide and rockfall hazards and assessment, coastal change affecting roads, road surface condition, crack and pavement management, gathering detailed and routine measurements to assess damage such as pot holes and manage maintenance
- Drainage validation – information about slopes and elevations, analysis of localised depressions where water can pond, to enable assessment and maintenance to be undertaken
- White lining and road markings to undertake regular condition assessment and manage maintenance
- Emergency response planning and operations – to enable informed decisions and appropriate courses for action e.g. when to open the road to traffic, what repairs are needed
- Land use and zoning; to determine the location of new or relocate existing transportation facilities
How can I use this new technology in the Engineering sector?
LIDAR technology offers precise information to reflect different shapes and formations of the complex urban environment.
- Civil engineering structure monitoring using LiDAR to create near real time analysis of the urban environment with natural 3D visualisation
- Research simulating earthquakes, to create highly accurate and detailed, three-dimensional before-and-after maps, so engineers can understand what types of construction techniques could withstand significant liquefaction (where soil behaves like liquid in response to the seismic shaking) in the event of an earthquake. This research was in response to the devastating 6.3-magnitude earthquake which struck Canterbury, New Zealand in 2011. The results helped move forward with reconstructing the area
- Create detailed as-built drawings of existing plant and infrastructure